According to the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS), nearly 220,000 Americans had weight loss surgery in 2008. With rising obesity, these numbers are bound to go up in the years to come. One of the bariatric surgeries called gastric sleeve surgery is being hailed as the “new kid on the block”. With more and more people turning to this surgery, gastric sleeve success stories are becoming mainstream.
It’s quite probable that you personally know someone with his or her own gastric sleeve success story. The gastric sleeve success rate is no longer an intangible statistic, thanks to the numerous favorable testimonials of postoperative happy patients.
Gastric Sleeve Results
Just like the results of any surgery, the outcomes of gastric sleeve surgery too vary from patient to patient. However, there is no denying the statistic put forth by experts in the field of bariatric surgery. Some of the gastric sleeve success rates are listed below:
- As per the Updated Position Statement on Sleeve Gastrectomy as a Bariatric Procedure released by the (ASMBS) on October 28, 2011, patients lose between 50-66% of their total weight after undergoing the surgery.
- As per a New England Journal of Medicine report, gastric sleeve surgery resulted in 23-40% reduction in premature mortality.
- The report further states that 99.8% of gastric sleeve patients were not at risk of life-threatening complications during the surgery.
- As per a study titled Sleeve Gastrectomy – Technique, Safety, Success, Trends by Djalali P and Birk D published in the journal Obesity Facts on March 18, 2009, gastric sleeve surgery results in excess weight loss of up to 60% within one postoperative year.
Analysis of Gastric Sleeve Success Stories
In addition to reading the gastric sleeve success rates in the form of statistical analyses, one might also want to hear the real testimonials for firsthand accounts. Some of the commonalities we found among the gastric sleeve testimonials, reviews and stories are as follows:
- The most obvious is looking at gastric sleeve before and after photos. These photos not only provide numbers but also physical evidence as to the wonders done by the sleeve surgery.
- Most of the testimonials refer to a drastic change in personal appetite. Even persons who previously suffered from binge eating disorders had altered appetites after gastric sleeve surgery.
- People who felt they could never lose weight actually did! Many of the success stories come from people who were on what they called their “last chance.” Well, guess what? Many sleeve gastrectomy stories ended in just that – success!
- Gastric sleeve results often met with the patient’s expectations. Along with losing weight, many patients felt like they had been reborn. Many of them experienced a new kind of mental freedom.
- Many gastric sleeve stories show variation in the level of physical activities engaged in before and after the surgery. While many patients lived very inactive, sedentary lifestyles prior to the surgery, they went on to become quite active, even engaging in sports and recreation, after the weight loss surgery.
- According to a research conducted by the Department of Medical Psychology at Catharina Hospital in Eindhoven, the Netherlands, people who undergo bariatric treatment such as gastric sleeve have improved psychological health.
- Quite a few of the patients also traveled to Mexico, India, and Costa Rica for undergoing easy on the pocket sleeve gastrectomy. These countries have established themselves as the prime global medical tourism destinations and are home to a number of state-of-the-art medical facilities.
It is easy to find a number of firsthand accounts and gastric sleeve success stories on the internet. In these testimonials, patients delve into great detail about their personal experiences with the bariatric surgery.
Submit the free request quote form on the right for more information on Gastric Sleeve Success Stories.